Thursday 24 May 2012

A Night in Pembury

Its been a week since my 'little' accident.

Went out to post a letter last Thursday and managed to trip/slip/blackout and ended up flat on my face with no movement in my left arm. Fortunately my plight was spotted and an ambulance was called, by the time this arrived I was in complete and utter agony.

Due to the machinations of the NHS I was taken not to the local hospital at Maidstone but as decreed by those who know better to the Tunbridge Wells hospital at Pembury. I arrived into A and E  at 18 04 and the nurse on duty could not of been more helpful, took all my details gave me some morphine and generally was excellant. I only noticed afterwards that his name was Lovemore. Had a cursory examination by the doctor who sent me for x rays. When I got back to a ane e what a difference. Shifts had changed and despite asking for a drink and more painkiller but none was forthcoming for the rest of the evening. By this time I was in agony. As they were not certain why I had fallen they decided they wanted to do an ecg they wheeled the machine into the room and left it there for well over an hour before deciding it was in the way and took it away again!

Anyway by this time they had decided that I had broken my upper arm in two places and were debating if I needed surgery or not, eventually deciding against it. They than put my arm into a 'u' cast and than realised they had not done an ecg. When this was done it eas normal but than decided they wanted to do some more blood tests but as I had been in the department for so long I would have to sit in the waiting area of a ward. Just after 1 in the morning they said everything was ok but would I like to stay in overnight. As you can imagine I had had enough by than and politely declined there offer.

My arm is still very swollen and whilst not in absolute pain its still bad enough. Have an apointment at the fracture clinic in Maidstone tomorrow afternoon .

Hope your week has been better than mine

Andy

14 comments:

Sybil said...

I am pleased that you are feeling a wee bitty better Andrew..hope when you go back to hosp. they will give you some better attention.
Love sybil x

ADB said...

Not a very good experience, Andy, hope things will continue to get better.

REGINA said...

bless your little heart....or rather your arm. does anyone know yet why you fell? do you recollect anything? everything? hopefully you will get better treatment when you go to the next doctor. take care of yourselff, and keep us posted.
regina

Jeanie said...

I'm sorry to read that you have 'been in the wars' Andy. You must be in a lot of pain. I hope you become pain free soon and that they soon find out what caused you to fall.
Jeanie

Anonymous said...

Rest in peace Andy x

rache

Anonymous said...

I've just been going through my dad's computer and have come across this blog of his. I thought I should let you all know that unfortunately dad's cancer took hold of him and he passed away on the 15th September 2012.

Jeanie said...

He is sadly missed by all his Blogger friends online. Rest in Peace Andy.

ADB said...

You are missed, my friend, but you will never be forgotten. Will be back.

Connie said...

Still missing you dear sweet gentleman

ADB said...

A year has gone by since you left us, Andy. Gone but certainly not forgotten.

Linda George said...

Sorry to hear this. I haven't been on here for a long while but Andy and I were followers of each others Blogs since AOL days. He did so well to fight it as long as he did.

Jeanie said...

You were in my thoughts today Andy.
Jeanie

ADB said...

Nearly three years have passed since you left us, Andy. It was a pleasure knowing you, if only through the internet, and it is through that medium that you will never be forgotten.

Guido

ADB said...

Five years since you left us, Andy. Thinking of you at this time.