Wednesday 21 January 2009

Good and Bad News?

I saw the oncology consultant at Maidstone Hospital yesterday for the result of my biopsy and guess what? They had not taken a good enough sample to make a full diagnosis! Instead they now want me to have a sample taken using a surgical procedure which will mean being in hospital for 3 or 4 days and is likely to be either next week or the week after-always assuming that there is a bed available!

The good news is that with chemotherapy and a possible bone marrow transplant the chances of remission are very good. Aparently I can not have the same chemo as I had before (CHOP & PMITCEBO) as the body can only take so much treatment of this type. However since than treatment has moved on and other chemo is available and now they also give you antibodies which has improved treatment.

I am still managing to stay optomistic about things though, it seems pointless to be otherwise. As my late Mother used to say, if you worry about it you would never get out of bed in the morning-you would just turn over and suffocate on your own pillow. She had a large range of sayings such as that. It also helps that we are particularly busy at work-we have been working on a case since New Year and think we have finally cracked it.

However the most important thing that has helped me stay positive is all your kind messages of support on here I feel privileged to know so many caring people even if its just through a message on a computer.

Thank You

Andy

11 comments:

Merry'sthoughtshopesdreamsandshemes said...

Andy,
You manage to sound so upbeat and I am impressed with your postive attitude despite what you have already gone through and what you will have to go through. I wish you the very best! I will be checking badk to see posts of how things go. Also sending prayers up for you. You go, Girl!
Merry

ADB said...

Bit disappointing you have to go through another sampling procedure, Andy. Pleased you're managing to stay positive through it all

sparkx said...

don't worry Andy, I don't think you look like a girl :)

You stay positive, don't let the bastards grind you down, and if you need any letters of complaint written, you know where to come, don't you ... xx Lynbo xx

Frances said...

I hope all goes well this time around, Andy. Sometimes it seems the doctors are too cautious, but I'm sure there are good reasons to do a re-test. Just be patient and stay positive. Lots of prayers are being sent your way, and I know they are heard.
Best wishes from a friend in Texas.

Jmoqueen said...

Andy all my well wishes and good thoughts are with you and your family. Your positive attitude is still shining through and I love that about you. Keep smiling xx Good luck

Beth said...

I'm sorry you have to go through another procedure, Andy. Keep hanging in there, and I hope we provide some positive support!

Hugs, Beth

Liz said...

I hope the second procedure gives the doctors all the information they require to effect a cure. I admire your positive attitude and send you my best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Jane Thompson said...

The waiting and not knowing is the worst bit isnt it? It must be terribly frustrating to have to await a second procedure but the docs need a definitive diagnosis before they start treatment. Stay strong, stay positive and your Mum is absolutely right !
Love and hugs

Jane
xxxx

Jeanie said...

Well Andy..you are half way through it already with such a positive attitude. That's the only way to be otherwise life would be so miserable. Your mum was so right!
All the best during your stay in hospital. As for the chemo? I have been through that too. You sometimes feel as though it is going to lay you out but its nice to get over it and leave it behind. Here's to that day arriving sooner than you expect. Your attitude will make sure of that.
Good luck.
Jeanie

Sandra said...

Oh Andy, I`m so sorry you have to go through more tests before you know whats going on. Take care and I will be thinking of you.

Love

Sandra xx

Delores Getmeslippers said...

Hi Andy, you have to go through all this and your attitude must be the best one going. Keep upbeat and you know we are hoping for the best for you.